- Verify Zoning Compliance
- Obtain Proper Permits
- Establish Water and Sewer Services
- Apply for a Business License
Address changes require updated Business License and new Occupancy Permit
Renaming a business requires a new Business License
117 Macneil Street, San Fernando, CA 91340
(818) 898-1212 | Finance@sfcity.org
* Note: City Hall is closed every other Friday due to a 9/80 work schedule.
Any person that transacts or carries on any business, trade, or profession in the City of San Fernando must have a valid Business Licenses issued by the City (SFCC §22-28). For businesses located within the City, a Business License must be obtained before conducting business. Businesses located outside of the City, even if licensed by another jurisdiction, must obtain a San Fernando Business License before doing any business in the San Fernando City limits.
- Am I involved in the retail or wholesale selling of merchandise, equipment or other material items?
- Am I leasing equipment or other items to others?
- Am I receiving revenue from the rental of living accommodations?
- Am I receiving rental revenue from property used by others to conduct business?
- Do I have a California State Contractor’s License?
- Am I in a profession that requires special certification or licensing?
- Am I engaged in any activities which may be perceived by others to be of a “business” nature?
If you answered “yes” to any of the above questions, you need a City business license.
The process is simple! Below, you will find the steps you should complete before applying for a City Business License.
Step 1: Verify the Zoning Requirements, Business Signage and Parking Standards
Contact the Planning Division to obtain a Commercial Occupancy Permit Application and get other related information: (818) 898-1227
Step 2: File a Fictitious Business Name Statement
It is recommended that you call the Los Angeles County Clerk’s Office to determine if the business name is already in use: (800) 201-8999 or visit lavote.net
Contact any newspaper; the newspaper will file your DBA statement and publish your new business name
Step 3: Obtain a State Board of Equalization (SBOE) Resale Permit, If Required
Required for “selling or acquiring any tangible items for repair or use in the business”
Contact the SBOE to file the proper Sales Tax Forms and obtain Labor Standards for Employees: (661) 222-6000 or visit www.boe.ca.gov)
The permit must show the City of San Fernando business address
Step 4: Obtain a Federal Tax Identification Number
Contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for your employer identification number. They also provide seminars for new businesses. For additional information and required forms, visit www.irs.gov
Step 5: Obtain a Business Licnese
Contact the City of San Fernando Business Support Center to obtain a Business License and determine the fee amount. The fee depends on the location and type of business: (818) 898-1211 or http://sanfernando.hdlgov.com
A $22 processing fee is charged to all new and renewing accounts
Depending on your type of business, you may be required to provide any of the following documents:
County Health Permit
Alcoholic Beverage Control Permit
State Contractor’s License
Establishment and Cosmetology License
Bureau of Automotive Repair License
You will need the following information to complete the Business License Application:
Business Name and Address
Business Telephone Number
Description of the Business
Property Owner’s Information
Social Security Number
Federal Tax ID Number
Articles of Incorporation, if applicable
Alarm Company Information
Step 6: Obtain an Alarm Permit for the Business
You are required to obtain an alarm permit if you have an active alarm system at the place of business
Contact the Finance Department for the application, requirements and more information: (818) 898-1245
The fee is $25 each fiscal year (July through June)
Step 7: Sign Up for Water, Sewer and Refuse Services
A deposit is required for all new applicants
Contact the Utility Billing Division for additional information: (818) 898-1213
(818) 898-1211 | http://sanfernando.hdlgov.comAll interested Swap Meet vendors must apply, in-person, at City Hall.
The following documents must be presented:
- State Board of Equalization Seller’s Permit with name and swap meet address
- Valid California Driver’s License
- Social Security Card
The following fees apply for first time vendors:
- Vendor Occupancy Permit: $27.50
- Business License: $73.00
To renew the business license, each Swap Meet vendor must apply, in-person at City Hall, bring all the documents listed above and report the gross receipts for the preceding year.
The fee for the renewal license will be based on the gross receipts reported as follows:
- $50.00 from $0.00 to $25,000.00 of Gross Receipts
- $1.20 per $1,000.00 in excess of $25,000.00 (up to $1,000,000.00)
- $0.60 per $1,000.00 in excess of $1,000,000.00
Additional Fees, include:
- $22.00 Processing Fee
- $1.00 State Fee
Sandra Soto, Senior Account Clerk
(818) 898-1245 | SSoto@sfcity.org
SELLER’S PERMIT State Board of Equalization
505 N. Brand Blvd., Suite 700, Glendale, CA 91203
(818) 543-4900 | www.boe.ca.gov
25360 Magic Mountain Parkway, Suite 330, Santa Clarita, CA 91355
(661) 222-6000 | www.boe.ca.gov
FEDERAL TAX IDENTIFICATION NUMBER Internal Revenue Service
6230Van Nuys Blvd., Van Nuys, CA
(800) 829-3676 | www.irs.gov/business/small
GARMENT INSPECTION Los Angeles Department of Health Service
2525 Corporate Place, Monterey Park, CA 91754
SMOG CHECK Bureau of Automotive Repair (State Department)
27202 Turnberry Lane, Suite 250, Valencia, CA 91355
(661) 702-6600 | www.autorepair.ca.gov
FIXED LOCATIONS AND PUSH CARTS Los Angeles County Health Department
6851 Lennox Avenue, Suite 305, Van Nuys, CA 91405
(818) 902-4460 | www.lapublichealth.org
VEHICLE INSPECTION PROGRAM – CATERING TRUCKS Los Angeles County Health Department
5050 Commerce Drive, Baldwin Park, CA 91706
FICTITIOUS NAME FILING San Fernando Sun Newspaper Or Any Newspaper
601 S. Brand Blvd., Suite 202, San Fernando, CA 91340
COPY OF ARTICLES OF INCORPORATION Secretary of State – Los Angeles Regional Office
(213) 897-3062 | www.ss.ca.gov
ESTABLISHMENT LICENSE & COSMETOLOGY/BARBER LICENSE California Board of Barbering & Cosmetology
(916) 574-7570 | www.barbercosmo.ca.govThe City Manager’s Office oversees processing of all Photography and Film Production Permits; however, all fees are paid at the Finance Counter.