The Community Preservation Division seeks to work with residents, property owners, and businesses to enhance the quality of life and to foster civic pride by maintaining the beauty and charm of our city. The Division is charged with enforcing all City code requirements and investigating any code violation complaints. The Division is also responsible for implementing the City’s Graffiti Abatement Program.
EXAMPLES OF CODE VIOLATION COMPLAINTS
- Un-permitted construction work being done on a commercial, industrial, or residential property.
- Un-permitted building additions.
- Un-permitted conversions and use of garages and other structures as dwelling spaces.
- Hazardous material storage.
- Accumulations of trash, junk and debris on private properties visible from the street.
- Outdoor storage of inoperative, abandoned or dismantled vehicles visible from the public right-of-way.
- Lack of landscape maintenance, including mowing, watering and weed removal.
- Unmaintained and unsecured abandoned buildings and vacant lots.
- Swimming pools (stagnant water) and mosquitoes.
- Trash and junk dumped on the public street.
- Un-permitted business’s operating in the City.
- Un-permitted mobile food and/or street vending.
- Graffiti on private property
REPORTING POSSIBLE CITY CODE VIOLATIONS
- Report code violations 24-hours a day to the Community Development Department at (818) 898-1227. Staff member are available to take your calls during normal City Hall hours of operation, or a voice message may be left after hours. You may report violations anonymously and all reports are handled confidentially.
- Please make sure to include the location and a description of the violation. If you would like a call back, please leave your name and telephone number.
- The Division’s goal is to conduct an initial inspection within one working day of receipt of your call. However, if the code violation creates a potential emergency, please contact the San Fernando Police Department at (818) 898-1267.
REGULAR BUSINESS HOURS
Monday through Thursday | 7:30 am to 5:30 pm
Friday* | 8 am to 5 pm
*Note: City Hall is closed every other Friday due to a 9/80 work schedule
WEEKEND AND NIGHTS
The Community Preservation division is also responsible for ensuring that graffiti is removed from all areas in the public right of way, including sidewalks, streets, telephone/light poles, and utility boxes. The Divisions’s graffiti abatement team works to ensure that all graffiti is removed within 72 hours of the initial report.
There are several options for Yard Sale Permits in our City!