DIA DE LOS MUERTOS 5K RUN/WALK & CULTURAL ARTS FESTIVAL
The Recreation and Community Services Department is excited to announce that the Providence Holy Cross Healthy San Fernando 5K Relay Walk or Run has been combined with the Dia de los Muertos event as part of the six-month Healthy San Fernando! Campaign. The goal is to improve the health of the community.
This year, the race has two new routes promising to be both challenging and inspiring for runners. First is the new, expanded 5K race route for individual runners. The route incorporates the San Fernando Mission City Trail that is adjacent to the Metrolink tracks and travels north and south from Recreation Park. The route starts off similar to previous years, but instead of looping back to the park, runners continue on to Fifth St. then down to Jesse St. and enter the Mission City Bike Trail just before Truman St. The 5K Relay route remains as a loop course; however, the route incorporates the park walking path inside Recreation Park and runs along the altar displays that are part of the Dia de los Muertos festivities.
|Date:||November 1-2, 2019|
|Time:||November 1, 2019 | 6:00 pm to 12:00 am
November 2, 2019 | 7:30 am to 5:00 pm
|Where:||Recreation Park, 208 Park Avenue, San Fernando|
- 5K Run/Walk Relay*
- 5K Individual Run
- Kids Run
- Health Fair/Expo
- Health Screenings
- Art Exhibit**
- Face Painting and Children’s Workshops
5K INDIVIDUAL RUN
This option consists of individuals running a 5K course (3.1 miles; no walkers will be permitted and runners must be able to complete one mile in less than 12 minutes. Time chips will be used to provide individual loop times and final time. Top runners will be awarded prizes.
PRICING: $10 Pre-registration; $20 Race Day | Students: $5 Pre-registration; $5 Race Day
RACE TIME: 8:00am
This option consists of children ages 3 to 6 years old participating in a short dash. All runners will receive a surprise at the end of the race.
PRICING: $5 Pre-registration; $5 Race Day
RACE TIME: 9:00am
5K RELAY WALK OR RUN
This option consists of a team of three people that can walk and/or run the 5K Relay course (3.1 miles). Each team member will complete one loop (approximately 1.6K or 1.03 miles each). Time chips will be used to provide individual loop times and final team time. Top three teams from each category awarded prizes. All levels are encouraged to participate. All teams are three participants.
To sign up, a team captain must create the team profile and complete all team member information, including name, address, contact (email), date of birth, etc. to complete the registration process. All levels are encouraged to participate!
RELAY TEAM CATEGORIES INCLUDE:
OPEN: Individuals of all ages/levels
FAMILY: Minimum of one child and one adult
SCHOOL/YOUTH NON-PROFIT: Individuals representing a school/non-profit
PRICING: $20 Pre-registration; $40 Race Day | Students: $15 Pre-registration; $15 Race Day
RACE TIME: 9:30am
ALTARS | OFRENDAS | ART EXHIBIT
Exhibit your art for free by calling (818) 898-1290 or emailing JSandoval@sfcity.org.
- Altar spaces are free of charge, call (818) 898-1290 to reserve your space.
- Reserved altar spaces will receive access to VIP parking on the day of the event (one car per altar).
- Size of space reserved is 10 feet x 10 feet.
- Altars can be placed on the ground or on tables.
- Canopies are allowed only in the designated canopy area.
- Staking to the ground is not allowed, but weights/water weights are permitted.
- Altars must not be left unattended at any time.
- Set up time begins Friday at 6pm and must be completed by 5 am on Saturday.
- After 5 am, space will be available again at 11 am on Saturday.
- Overnight stay is welcome.
- Items must not be left unattended at any time.
- Participants must provide their own altar items (tables, table covers, decorations, etc.)
- Battery operated candles are permitted.
- No flame candles or smoke producing items allowed.
- Dismantling begins at 4 pm and must be completed by 5 pm.The City of San Fernando is not responsible for lost or stolen items.