VETERANS RECOGNITION PROGRAM
During the week of May 25, 2020, the Veterans Banners was relaunched. The City’s Veterans Banner Program honors local veterans by displaying their likeness, rank and branch of military service memorialized in a banner and posted along Maclay Avenue. The banners will be displayed through September 2020.
For more information, please contact the Recreation and Community Services Department at (818) 898-1290.
On Friday, November 8, 2019, the City of San Fernando honored 13 local U.S. Military Veterans by hosting an unveiling ceremony for the inaugural Veterans Banner Program.
The City’s Veterans Banner Program honors local veterans by displaying their likeness, rank and branch of military service memorialized in a banner and posted along Maclay Avenue.
The unveiling ceremony began with a small reception at 4:00 p.m. at the Library Plaza, located at 217 N. Maclay Avenue, San Fernando. Family, friends and veterans gathered for light refreshments and socializing. City dignitaries, officials and invited guests addressed the audience and at 4:45 pm unveiled two banners adjacent to the Library Plaza. All were welcome to participate in the ceremony.
The banners were displayed during the month of November 2019.
VETERANS RECOGNITION PROGRAM
The City of San Fernando Veteran Recognition Program was created to honor and recognize local U.S. Military Veterans that reside (current or previously) or have a family member that resides in the City of San Fernando.
Veteran Banners will be displayed on Maclay Avenue during November, as well as June and July the following year. At the conclusion of each cycle, banners will be returned to the applicant.
Eligible Military Branches include:
- Marine Corps
- Air Force
- Coast Guard
- Merchant Marine
- National Guard – Active Reserve
Interested individuals may complete an application to participate. The following must be included when the application is submitted:
- Applicant’s Current or Former San Fernando Residential Address (applicant or honoree).
- Proof of Honorable or General Discharge.
- 5” x 7” (minimum) portrait-style photograph of the Veteran in their military uniform for display on the banner OR a digital photograph with a resolution of 300 dpi or higher.
Wednesday, September 30, 2020.
The estimated time for processing, art proofing, stitching, production and installation will take approximately 2 weeks.
If your application is not approved for any reason, you will receive an email notification explaining the reason application was not approved and a refund will be issued to the applicant. Please allow two weeks from date of non-acceptance notice to receive a refund.
Checks may be made payable to: City of San Fernando
Any application not approved will receive a full refund (allow two weeks for processing).
Don’t know a veteran to honor? You can still participate with a donation in any amount, just check the donation box on the application.
RULES / WAIVER
- Photographs will not be returned. By signing the banner application, you give the City of San Fernando permission to use the photo for the banner and promotional/marketing material.
- This program is on a first come, first served basis. Priority will be given to current San Fernando residents.
- Banners are limited to one (1) per service member.
- Spelling of names will be taken directly from the application.
- Installation, location/removal of the banners are at the City’s discretion. The City is not responsible for lost/stolen banners, or repairs to the banners should they be damaged due to inclement weather or other damage, aside from normal manufacturer warranty.
- If your application is not approved for any reason, you will receive an email notification explaining the reason application was not approved and a refund will be issued to the applicant. Please allow two weeks from date of non-acceptance notice to receive a refund.