GENERAL MUNICIPAL ELECTION: NOVEMBER 3, 2020
The next General Municipal Election will be held on Tuesday, November 3, 2020, and will be consolidated with the Los Angeles County General Election. Registered voters in the City of San Fernando will have the opportunity to elect:
- Two councilmembers for a term of four years – seats are presently occupied by incumbents Joel Fajardo and Robert C. Gonzales; and
- One councilmember for a term of two years – seat is currently occupied by Councilmember Mary Mendoza who was appointed by City Council to complete the unfinished term of former Councilmember Antonio Lopez.
- San Fernando voters will also be presented with one (1) tax-related ballot measure. The measure entitled Keep Sales Tax Revenues Local Measure SF which poses the following question:To ensure that the maximum amount of sales tax revenues generated in San Fernando remain in San Fernando, and to increase funding for street and sidewalk improvements; public infrastructure; local business reinvestment; public Wi-Fi; long-term debt reduction; wages and other general municipal purposes, shall the existing transactions and use tax rate be increased from the current rate of 1/2% to a new rate of 3/4% to raise approximately $1,100,000 annually?CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS
- Must be 18 years of age;
- A citizen of the United States; and
- A registered voter residing within the City of San Fernando at the time nomination papers are issued.
NOTICE OF NOMINEES FOR PUBLIC OFFICE
- List of Qualified Candidates
CAMPAIGN REPORTING REQUIREMENTS
The City Clerk’s Office is available to answer questions. A response is usually available within 24 hours, except on weekends and holidays, in which case it will be the next business day. The Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) provides free, expert advice. The FPPC contact information is as follows: Toll free (866) ASK FPPC (275-3772) Online at http://www.fppc.ca.gov All campaign forms are available on the FPPC website. The City Clerk’s office will also include copies in the handbook for your reference.
Candidates and committees must file the original campaign statements with the City Clerk’s office:
City Clerk’s Office | City of San Fernando
117 Macneil Street, San Fernando, CA 91340
Phone: (818) 898-0710 | Fax: (818) 361-7631 | CityClerk@sfcity.org
LOS ANGELES COUNTY IS MODERNIZING HOW YOU VOTE
Vote Safe In-Person
The Los Angeles County/Registrar-Recorder will provide safe and secure Vote Centers that follow all of the public health and safety guidelines, such as:
- Social distancing of 6 feet
- Election Workers wearing protective gloves and masks
- Wiping down surfaces and Ballot Marking Devices after every voter
- Limiting the number of voters in the voting area at one time