- Ensuring development projects and proposed land uses are consistent with the City’s General Plan goals and objectives and comply with the City’s Zoning Code;
- Review construction proposals and conducts inspections in order to ensure that projects comply with the City’s building, health, and safety codes; and
- Enforce City and Zoning Codes.
BUILDING & SAFETY
- Reviewing all construction plans to make sure they comply with City building, health and safety codes*;
- Inspecting all permitted construction projects and conducting residential property pre-sale inspections;
- Assisting with housing, fire protection, and zoning inspections and enforcement; and
- Coordinating with Los Angeles Fire Department on fire code enforcement requirements.
* The City of San Fernando enforces the code provision of the 2017 California Building Code and 2017 California Fire Code.
RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY PRE-SALE INSPECTION
The Program requires sellers to submit a Residential Property Pre-Sale Inspection Application and obtain the resulting pre-sale inspection report before they sell any residential property. The Program applies to all residential properties within the city, with the exception of hotels, motels, mobile homes, and mobile home parks.
The Program assures that purchasers are provided with a report of city records related to the structure at the property, and of any code violations as identified by a city inspection of the property prior to the sale or exchange of residential property.
The Program is also intended to protect and promote the existence of safe residential buildings, dwelling units, and neighborhoods by the enforcement of regulations designed to correct and prevent the sale or transfer residential buildings and dwelling units that are dangerous, deficient, substandard or unsanitary.
REPORTING POSSIBLE CITY CODE VIOLATIONS
- Report code violations 24-hours a day to the Community Development Department at (818) 898-1227. Staff members are available to take your calls during normal City Hall hours of operation, or a voice message may be left after hours. You may report violations anonymously and all reports are handled confidentially.
- Please make sure to include the location and a description of the violation. If you would like a call back, please leave your name and telephone number.
- The Division’s goal is to conduct an initial inspection within one working day of receipt of your call. However, if the code violation creates a potential emergency, please contact the San Fernando Police Department at (818) 898-1267.
(818) 898-1267 | CommunityDevelopment@sfcity.org
Division staff will inspect the location of the graffiti, and will either remove the graffiti (as long as it falls under the City Guidelines) or notify property owners if they are unable to remove.
Graffiti may be reported using these methods:
24-Hours A Day
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT
REGULAR BUSINESS HOURS
24-Hours A Day
Do not try to approach or apprehend the person; provide the dispatcher with as much information as possible, description of the person or persons involved, a vehicle license plate if possible, and your exact location.
To learn about a Neighborhood Watch meeting near you or to start a new one, call the San Fernando Police Department at (818) 898-1267 and ask to speak to the Watch Commander.
Be aware of your kid’s activities, particularly in the early morning hours. Be aware if your child begins using tagging monikers or nicknames. Notice if they are writing graffiti type lettering on walls, clothing or notebooks. If your kids are minors and are caught tagging, or in possession of tagging tools, you will be responsible for any citation issued, as well as any corrective action to have the property cleaned up.
Take concern in your children’s lives, it will make a difference in yours!
YARD SALE PERMITS
THREE DAY PERMIT
Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Saturday/Sunday and Saturday/Sunday
$5 Each Weekend
Limited to Saturdays and Sundays
The Planning Division provides City support to the City Council, the Housing Successor and Successor Agency of the City’s former Redevelopment Agency, and the Planning and Preservation Commission.
CITY ZONING & LAND USE MAPS
APPLICATIONS & RESOURCES
- GENERAL PLAN AMENDMENTSDESIGN GUIDELINESREDEVELOPMENT PROJECT AREAS & PLANS
2018 SCAG Sustainability Award
(818) 898-1229 | CommunityDevelopment@sfcity.org